Saturday, March 19, 2011

PLEASE READ: THE FAB FIVE and my personal views



I KNOW THIS POST IS LONG, BUT THIS IS VERY PERSONAL FOR ME AND FELT THE NEED TO SHARE!!!



The Fab Five documentary I will honestly say this was the BEST documentary I have ever seen. It spoke to me on SO many levels. As you may or may not know I played basketball throughout my entire childhood, and this FAB FIVE video that showed on ESPN in its entirety in two hours was amazing for me!.


If you have no clue what I'm talking about watch this..



Now the ESPN documentary aired a few days ago and in it Jalen Rose called Grant Hill Uncle Tom because he went to DUKE (Michigan's rival). Jalen also stated the DUKE only takes certain kinds of players. . Jalen was referring to the fact that Hill has two parents with degrees and are middle class (much like myself) . Grant Hill however spoke out and said basically this isn't true and that his family and forefathers had worked hard to get to the point in which they were in life (again much like my family) and are not ashamed nor Uncle Toms because he chose a certain school.

This video is Jalen Rose defending why he used such words to describe Mr. Hill.




My take on the FAB FIVE and Grant Hill situation:

These fab five guys remind me so much of my AAU days and basketball leagues in Philly. The comradely and the support that they had for one another was so much like my AAU team. We would goof off at each other so much. We were usually the all black team with the baggy shorts, fresh Jordans or fresh nikes, and the "I'm here to win by any means necessary" attitude that definitely scared other teams. We trash talked and booed the other teams in there face. While we were called all sorts of names and not given calls by referees as u can imagine, but we actually won many championships, we were some of the best players in the city.

Me however, I believe I was a special type of player... I played high school ball in "the burbs" although my team was mostly black, most of them came from the city (but we were not as harsh) but we still ran a pretty mean attitude with much flair and style and swag... but during the summer in summer leagues I ran with the city teams. The teams were made up of the BEST in the city. I was never the best, but I always balled hard.

The culture was just so different. In the city, I loved it! It was such a harder and physical style of play. You had to play not only to beat the other team but to "showout" in other words get the crowd hype and into the game and cheering for your team to win. That came with flair and style. During games, after games, and before games (we also would take personal cars and pile up to go to a game or jump on the sub or bus)... we used to go to the corner store and buy 25 cent bags of candy, sugar waters, chips, wings... all the stuff an athlete isn't supposed to eat but we loved it and didn't think about it.

In the burbs, the bus would take us, and we would all meet together, have matching warm ups, matching sneaks..and the coach would pay for our meals at a sit down restaurant before or after the game depending upon time of the game. We were always a group. We did really good. My freshman year we won state champions and ranked number 3 in the country, I didn't play much but I got a medal lol. The following year we were semi finalist for states still pretty good. All my time playing I played varsity, with my freshman year playing some JV in the beginning of the season skipping the freshman team. We had fun as well, I was such a small kid my freshman year I was like everyone little sister. Most of the older girls were in my older sisters grades and viewed me as such because of her.

It was so funny, I remember one of my teammates from my high school team called me "Lil Iverson" (that's when Allen Iverson was big and my nick name later became lil Ash) because I crossed over and finger rolled my opponent basically embarrassing her and leaving her to eat my dust and pick her self up off the ground. It was funny because it was nothing to me and I do that all the time in the city, drive hard as best you can and get a bucket, but it's the attitude that made the difference, staring back and stating " come get some!" that I believe was from the city ball.


Ill wrap it up... but my point is city and suburban basketball are two different things. I believe the fab five was a little more street then most teams. I also get what Grant Hill is speaking of because my parents were well off and had made it so my education and high school was one that was good. I had privileges that my teammates from the city did not. My parents came to my games and supported me... among other things.


But I also get what Jalen Rose speaks about as far as the jealousy. Do I think they took it out on me? mmmm maybe but, I never went around bragging nor boasting, but they all new I was from a good family and went to a good high school. I believe I gained their respect in the long run because I fit in and I treated them with respect. I did the things they did and liked the things they liked, music, fashion, basketball, ect. I wasn't much different then them other then the fact that I played in a good academic school, and had both parents at home, my parents were not rich by any means but we made it and they were always showing support.


Here is another take on the whole situation....Check out the white guy's face....funny!


No comments:

Post a Comment