Friday, June 25, 2010

It's genetics people!

So recently I was home in Philly chillin with my sister.... Fun times, anyway My sister introduced me to one of her co-workers. The conversation went as follows:


Sister: Hey Monica, this is my little sister.
Me: Hi, nice to meet you.
Monica: Hi nice to meet you too. (addressing my sister) Are you two blood sisters, like real sisters?
Sister: Yes
Monica: Really?
Sister: Yes!
(My sister walks away to go get something)
Monica to me: Are yall really sister? Your hair is two different textures. I don't believe you.
Me now annoyed: YES! we are sisters.


Now why is this conversation relevant??? Because my sister and I don't look alike. We haven't looked alike since we were infants. We look like either my dark skinned father or my light skin mother. We don't dress alike either and have different flavors of style that makes it worse for people.

Ive gotten over the fact that that we don't look alike as Ive gotten older. It used to bug me like, why don't I look like my ONLY sister? We are very close and have many of the same friends and the questions just never come up with them because they know our parents and can see.

But what now annoyed me the most are HAIR comments.... were just different. We have both recently gone natural... I have thin wavy short hair like my mothers side and my sister has thick long black hair like my fathers side.

We are different... Its genetics people! Leave it at that.

(Deep breath as I walk away from ignorant people)

No comments:

Post a Comment