Friday, March 11, 2011

Whats going on?!

Hey folks, I found this news clip in my former state of residence, good old Ohio.... The town is actually very close to Columbus where I used to live and go to school.

So what happen... The teacher was teaching about slavery and how slaves were bid upon like cattle. The teacher decided that the students would act this out. Unfortunately, a male black student was one of a few ( sounds like from story) slaves that was bid upon.

Take a look



Now just my thoughts... I can understand both sides of the spectrum. The mother of the black child is mad and upset and thinks its racist which she may have a point if he was the only black child "up for auction". The teacher on the other hand I believe was conducting a lesson that she might have thought was a good idea, especially for students who are kinetic learners ( learn by movement).

Knowing the area a bit, yes it is a majority white community, not all but, yes majority. I believe the teacher should have defiantly done her homework and thought of a different way of explaining her lesson when having a subject like slavery in a predominantly white community as to not offend anyone. Now do I think the teacher is racist?... No. Do I think she needs to apologize? yes. Could she have figured out another way to do this lesson and still get her point across without offending? Most certainly.

SO..... Whatcha think????

No comments:

Post a Comment