Thursday, January 27, 2011

Just for a better Education...

I find this a catch 22...

An Ohio mother wanted a better education for her children so she used her fathers address who lives in a better distinct. Consequently she was caught and was told to serve 10 days in jail. What makes the story even worse is that she was going to school to become a teacher and now will never be able to with her background as a convicted felon.



Now... as an educator, I see the wrong side of this. Legally this women was wrong on all counts. If I were the superintendent or the judge I would just make her pay a fine and tell her children to please leave or pay tuition, simple as that.

As a parent, I see this as a terrible situation for the mother. Obviously, she knows the value of a good education as she herself is going to school for a degree in teaching, as well as trying to advance her children.

Although many people may not agree with me but I do believe that if you work with your child and your child's teacher closely even in a "bad" school you will get a good education. I'm not saying it will be easy, but parents need to advocate for their children. The problem here is most parents don't know what to do or say on behalf of their children for them to receive the proper education.


Anyway... What are your thoughts??!!!

*side note - I know this type of situation occurs often, I'm not saying do it, but I'm damn sure not saying don't. Do what you have to do folks, just be smart about it.

When will all schools be equal and this wont be an issue or a problem?!

1 comment:

  1. After reading this article, I did feel the punishment was excessive. She's out of jail, but now her chances of becoming a teacher herself are washed down the drain because of Ohio's misdemeanor/felony laws. That stinks. I do believe you have to do what you have to do as as parent to give your child the best opportunities possible. I do agree that approaching your child's teacher is a great way to get your child an advantage in advancing. Unfortunately, it will be a long way before schools are equal. Homeowners taxes are used to fund school districts, and if you're in a low income area, most likely, your school district won't be highly valued just because the money isn't there. There are many different facets to achieving equality and it starts with the parents. If they don't collectively care, and make enough noise about wanting better, they won't get better.

    ReplyDelete